Old and often non-insulated houses and buildings are more sensitive to moisture than that new houses. Faced new homes with moisture related problems. It is often wrongly against residents said that they are the cause of all the damp walls and floors, and fungi. Do not be fooled! There are exceptions, but in most instances residents behavior is not the cause of the problems.
The real causes are elsewhere
The real causes of the visible moisture and mold spots are often located elsewhere in or around your home. A mold place in a ceiling corner on the floor do not need to be completely not the result of a leak at that location. In many cases, the cause is located at the level of the ground floor. A marshy ground around your home, a leaky pipe in the crawl space, a leakage in the water supply or a broken drainage may be just the cause of moisture or mold spot somewhere higher up in the building.
Possible causes of moisture problems:
- Poor waterproofing of the structure at the location of the ground around your home
- Rain Breakdown by facades
- Leaks in drains
- Leaks in water pipes
- Internal condensation in constructions
- Leaks by high groundwater
- Leaks in the roof
- Salts and nitrates in building materials
Do not be fooled
When moisture and mold spores find in your home, check yourself or have a specialist company look for the causes of these consequential damages. If you enable a company to do this research for you, please make sure that this business is not directly about residents behavior and inadequate ventilation begin. Should this be the case then this is a party you will not be able to help further? You can already check this in a first telephone conversation. In very few cases, the residents themselves the cause of the problem. If you want to investigate in advance some things yourself then you can ask the following questions:
- Since when is there a problem?
- A worsening of the problems/consequences linked to a particular type of weather?
- What is the orientation of my walls?
- I see open butt joints on the walls?
- Is there a lot of fluid visible in the stone of the exterior walls in the ground around my house?
- The rehabilitation and improvement of activities have already been implemented and have had this impact on the problem?
- I smell my sewer as I was a few days away from home?
- I consumption more water than average?
- I notice a lot of moss and algae around my house?
- There are white spots visible on the inside and outside walls?
By answering the questions above, you are often sent already a particular direction. Below you can read some examples:
- When the damp patches worsen after a decent rain and the relevant facade facing west, the chance that rain penetration is a cause of the problem.
- If you notice a lot of moss and algae around your house, it means that the ground near the walls will remain long wet.
- For example to have been home a few days notice a sewer air in your home, then there is probably a leak in the drain.
- When the damp spots on intense moments worsen in the winter, then it probably means a condensation problem in the colder structural components and no leakage.
- When the wall is water-repellent treated, and since then the problems have become worse, then there is probably something wrong with the waterproofing of the structure at the location of the ground.
Measurement and inspection techniques let you better have moisture problems in a specialized company. When you have an appointment with a controlled company, lost to ensure then that, for the first visit to your home see the following issues:
- Temperatures and relative humidities in every room (including the basement and crawl space)
- Moisture contents of materials (floors and walls) by the full house
surface temperatures using an infrared camera (in the colder period)
- Ventilation possibilities in the living rooms and basement or crawl space
- The waterproofing of the construction under the ground
- If there is a cavity wall is present, a hole inspection so that it is clear that whether or not a contamination is present and isolation
Based on the findings from these studies may be that suggests inquiring company follow-up investigations to the cause continues to be on track. It may include, for example, sewer inspections, pressure testing, water absorption measurements and tests are fluorine (with water, a color).